- TROPEX (Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise) is the Indian Navy’s annual major exercise involving large scale naval manoeuvres in all three dimensions( surface, air, underwater).
- The main objective of the exercise is to assess the operational readiness of naval units, validate the Navy’s war fighting doctrine and integrate newly included capabilities in its `Concept of Operations`.
- The exercise has seen for the first time , the participation of P 8I Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft and the nuclear submarine, Chakra.
- The navy also assessed its network centric warfare capabilities, with effective utilisation of the recently launched Indian Navy’s Satellite, GSAT 7.
- TRIPS defines “geographical indications” as indications that identify a good as originating in the territory of a Member, or a region or locality in that territory, where a given quality, reputation or other characteristic of the good is essentially attributable to its geographic origin.
- Recently Tamilnadu government has announced its decision to apply for GI tag for Halwa (Tirunelveli) and Macroon(Tuticorin).
- The GI tag ensures that none other than those registered as authorised users (or at least those residing inside the geographic territory) are allowed to use the popular product name.
- Darjeeling tea is the first entity to obtain the GI Tag in India.
Scheme of Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/Fitting of Aids/Appliances (ADIP)
- Cabinet Committee on Economic affairs has revised the benfits under the scheme ADIP
- The income eligibility ceiling for 100 per cent concession has been enhanced to Rs. 15,000 per month and for a 50 per cent concession to Rs. 20,000 per month.
- Cost ceiling for aids and appliances have been increased to Rs. 10,000 for single disability and to Rs. 12,000 for students with disabilities.
- Ceiling of cost of medical/surgical correction has been increased to Rs. 1,000 for hearing and speech challenged it is fixed as Rs. 2,000 and for visually challenged, Rs. 5,000 for orthopedically challenged.
- Russian President has asked for the permission to use the Russian armed forces to “protect” Russian civilians and military in Ukraine.U.S President has expressed discontent with the Russia’s decision to use military in Ukraine.
- Longest railway tunnel in China’s northwestern Xinjiang which is a part of Nanjiang Railway’s second trunk that links Turpan with Korla in southern Xinjiang is completed.
- Venezuelan protests turned violent with government forces using force to distract the offenders.The people were protesting due to very high inflation, lask of basic amenities and increasing crime rate in the country.